Everyone makes scrambled eggs in their own way. Some use oil, others use butter, some beat the eggs until smooth, some not at all, some add special ingredients such as cheese, garlic or mushrooms, others eat the classics without additives.
To discover the best scrambled eggs, don’t be afraid to experiment. Today you can mix our grandmothers’ recipe.
What are we going to prepare?
- 1 onion
- 50 g of ham
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
How about grandma’s scrambled eggs?
Finely chop the onion, dice the ham and chop the chives. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add salt, pepper and beat them slightly (according to your preferences). We heat the pan, then pour a little oil on it, fry the onion.
As soon as it becomes glassy (it must not be brown), add the ham and fry it together lightly. Pour in the eggs, mix thoroughly, finally add the chives and mustard and, at the right time, set aside the eggs.
Interesting facts about scrambled eggs
- American-style scrambled eggs are deliberately served lumpier than, for example, English-style eggs, where care is taken to achieve a silky consistency.
- The classic French method is quite demanding, it takes 40 minutes and the eggs are made in a double boiler, and the reward is even more aerated and creamier eggs.
- The ancient Romans are the first to document the mixing of eggs.
- Already in the Tuscan cookbook Libro de la Cocina from the 14th century, it is written: “So much is known about fried, roasted and scrambled eggs that it is not necessary to talk about them”.
- Eggs mixed with fruit juices came into fashion in France in the 17th century, from where today’s lemon curd developed.
- In 2019, the largest portion of scrambled eggs in the world was prepared in Colombia and registered in the Guinness Book of Records. The egg weighed 3.112 kg, 59,758 eggs were used, as well as milk, onions, garlic and butter. The pan in which they prepared the eggs was 12 meters long, 4 meters wide and 70 cm high.
Photo: Shutterstock, sources: youtube.com, guinnessworldrecords.com