When you peel any kind of potato, definitely don’t throw the skins in the trash. Make crispy chips for a cozy evening with a good movie. You have them ready in a few minutes.
According to the Czech Potato Association, every Czech eats 65 kilos of potatoes per year. Can you imagine how many such chips you could already enjoy?
Potato skins are a great source of fiber, which reduces the risk of heart disease, colon cancer and diabetes. The contained potassium is an important fuel for metabolism and supports the production of usable energy for the organism. The peels also contain iron, which is also an essential mineral that helps with the functioning of red blood cells. They also contain vitamin B3, antioxidants, phytoenzymes and phytonutrients.
Chips from vegetable peels
Try other vegetable peels, such as carrots or parsnips. The peel in a resealable container will keep in the fridge for up to three days, so you can stock up on several varieties at once and enjoy a vegetable roast mix.
What you will need:
- potato skins
- 1-2 tablespoons of oil
- salt and pepper
- add any other spices (cumin, paprika or chili powder) according to preference
Potato Peel Chips Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. In the meantime, wash the potatoes well so that no dirt remains on them and peel them with a peeler. Peeling with a knife is not entirely suitable in this case, as the skins can then be unnecessarily thick.
- Spread the skins on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. If the paper curls, first crumple it, stretch it, and then place it on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the skins with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper or other spices.
- Mix everything with your hands until the skins are evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Spread the skins evenly on a baking sheet and place in the oven, bake until lightly browned and crispy, this usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
After removing from the oven, pour the chips into a bowl and eat them before someone else does it for you. Enjoy your meal!
Source: Czech Potato Association, goodto.com; photo: iStock