Integrated emergency services went out to Černická Street shortly before half past three in the morning. The fire started in the dormitory apartment on the second floor. “The fire mainly affected the kitchen. The fumes then spread to the next room. The smoke in the other rooms was minimal,” said Petr Poncar, spokesman for the regional fire department.
Together with the police, they evacuated 26 adults and 37 children from the building. Two people ended up in the care of paramedics because of smoke inhalation. Ambulance spokeswoman Andrea Divišová specified that a 60-year-old man and a woman two years older were taken by ambulance to the emergency department of the Pilsen University Hospital.
Investigators later ruled out someone else’s fault. “The likely cause of the fire was a technical fault with the refrigerator,” stated police spokeswoman Michaela Raindlová. She added that they have already initiated criminal proceedings in the matter on suspicion of committing the offense of public endangerment due to negligence. “We are examining all the circumstances and evaluating the clues we secured at the scene,” she concluded.
The residents of the other apartments have already returned to the dormitory. According to Poncar, the preliminary damage amounts to half a million crowns.