The zero house was supposed to connect technology and natural elements. It turned out great
In 1928, he designed a hotel for hotelier Kostelecky on the site of a demolished classicist house with a small inner courtyard. The cramped conditions required great creativity from the architect. Since 2010, Hotel Avion has been closed for renovation, it reopened in 2022. During the renovation, the owner Stanislav Berousek based both on the project of the architect Eva Jiřičná and on the original plans of Fuchs, thus completing things that were not realized at the time.
The highest observation tower can be found at the Ledvice power station
At Elektrárná Ledvice, located between the spa towns of Teplice and Bílina, there is the highest publicly accessible observation tower on an industrial building in the Czech Republic. The elevator takes visitors to the 28th floor to a height of 132 meters. After that, all you have to do is climb the tower via 24 concrete steps and 22 spiral steel steps. A glass observation deck with an accessible walkway at a height of 140 meters is located on the right tower of the boiler house of the new source and offers a beautiful view of the Ore Mountains. The power plant uses brown coal from the neighboring Bílina Mines.
The Mostecky church is the most difficult building to be moved
47 years ago, Czechoslovakia entered the Guinness Book of Records. The move of the Gothic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Most was responsible for this. The movement of the almost 10,000-ton, four-hundred-year-old building is recorded as the heaviest object in the world that has ever been moved on rails. The church was saved as the only monument, the town had to give way to coal mining. The main credit for the successful move went to mechanical engineer Jiří Souček and his team, who developed complex software for loading, driving and storing the church.
It moved a record 841.1 meters in less than a month. It was moving at a rate of 1.2 to 3.2 centimeters per minute. The transport base of the church was maintained by 53 special transport trucks manufactured by Škoda Plzeň. Each carriage had its own sensor and the software could raise or lower it using hydraulically operated pistons. The church was not consecrated again until June 1993. It also serves as a concert and exhibition hall.
Ostrava has the largest town hall
The Ostrava Town Hall on Prokešov náměstí is the largest town hall building in the republic and, with its height of 85.6 m, also the highest town hall observation tower. The viewing terrace at a height of 72 meters offers a unique view of the city and, in good weather, a view of the Beskydy and Jeseníky mountains. Almost 300 steps lead to the top of the observation tower.
In the offices of the leading Czech liquor company, it looks like an expensive bar
The Ostrava landmark was officially opened on October 28, 1930. The construction cost 52 million crowns and the building was designed really generously. It thus became the largest town hall in the Czechoslovak Republic at the time, and it still holds this primacy.
The best-preserved Baroque theater is in Český Krumlov
The Baroque Castle Theater at the Krumlov Castle was inaugurated in 1766. The original theater fund has been preserved to this day, including the building, auditorium, orchestra, stage, stage equipment, decorations, backdrops and costumes. A rich archive has also been preserved, documenting theatrical life at the castle in the 17th – 19th centuries, including librettos, scenarios, texts and scores.
They have the highest church tower in Pilsen
The tower of the Cathedral of Saint Bartholomew in Pilsen is the highest church tower in the Czech Republic. It is 102.26 meters high and 299 steps lead to the viewpoint at a height of 62 meters. From the balcony there is a wonderful view of the region and in good weather you can see the peaks of the Šumava and the Bohemian Forest. The Cathedral of St. Bartholomew in Pilsen was included among the national cultural monuments in 1995. The construction of the temple began together with the founding of the city in 1295 and was completed at the beginning of the 16th century. In 1993, when Pope John Paul II. established a bishopric in Pilsen, the church of St. Bartholomew became a cathedral.
The longest baroque palace building
The Černín Palace on Loretánské náměstí in Prague, whose facade measures 150 meters, is the longest Baroque building in the Czech Republic. It was built by Count Jan Humprecht Černín from Chudenice. He had a reputation as a very wealthy person, which was reflected in the number of paintings and tapestries from French and Belgian workshops in the palace interiors. However, the high financial costs of managing the building caused the financial downfall of the Černín family. They sold it to the state in 1851 and a barracks was set up here for a short time. After the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1918, the palace was restored again, and since 1934 the baroque building has served as the seat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Together with the Černín Garden, the palace is a protected cultural monument.
The largest convent building on oak piles
The Cistercian monastery of Plasy was founded on the river Strele in 1144 and then rebuilt in the Baroque style. On the river, the monks built an artificial canal leading through the monastery grounds, which they used to pump water to the mill and drive the saw. The solution to the foundations of the convention is unique. Due to the marshy soil, it is reinforced with oak stakes hammered into the ground and preserved by placing it under the water surface without air access to the wood. A system of water channels under the convent building and an ingenious air system help to remove moisture and heat the building. The monastery, which was abolished under Joseph II, is a national cultural monument.
The former monastery in Plasy is also a filmmaker’s paradise. For example, the films Miserables, The Last Knight, Santini’s Language, The Smell of Vanilla or Il Boemo about the life of the famous Czech composer Josef Mysliveček were filmed here.
Kadaň has the best-preserved city fortifications
The city fortifications in Kadani, which were built sometime in the second half of the 13th century, were among the most powerful in the Czech lands. Although most of the walls disappeared during the 19th century, it is the best-preserved city fortification in our country. The city’s fortifications originally formed an irregular rectangle measuring 500 and 350 meters with ramparts, defensive bastions and towers. Of the original four main city gates, only one, Gothic, later modified in the Renaissance, the tower of the Mikulovická Gate, or Saint, and also the barbican, which defended the now defunct Žatecká Gate, have survived to this day. The ramparts were guarded by defensive towers and bastions, of which, for example, the Minoritská and Špitálská bastions have survived.
The extremely narrow apartment is both a loft and a cottage. There is also the Hussite spirit
A wall fence called Zwinger also contributed to the defense of the city. The heart of the fortification was Kadaň Castle. From the 15th century, the suburbs of Kadaň were also fortified. But none of the seven gates of the suburban walls have survived. An important element of the city fortifications was Katova ulička, which served as a quick connection from the city center to the eastern part of the walls. Katova ulička is the narrowest named street in the Czech Republic. The passage between the medieval houses is only 66.1 centimeters wide at its narrowest point and 51 meters long. Gothic masonry with Gothic window openings has been preserved.
The tallest Islamic building is in Lednice
The Minaret, or Turkish Tower, standing in the Lednice Castle Park, is a 62-meter-high observation tower built between 1797 and 1802. It is the only minaret in the Czech Republic and it is also the tallest structure of its type outside Islamic countries. The tower was built in the Moorish style, and Arab artists were most likely involved in its decoration. Alois I of Liechtenstein originally wanted to build a mosque, but had to settle for a minaret due to the soft ground.
It was built on marshy soft ground, so a grid and piles made of oak wood were used to secure the foundations. In the one-story prismatic base with arcades, there are eight rooms with oriental decoration, which served as a museum of Liechtenstein’s exotic collections. There are quotes from the Koran on the walls of the minaret. The tower has three observation decks, 302 steps lead to the highest one.
Source: Deník, kudyznudy.cz, wikipedia