Brno’s brick reservoirs will soon be open to the public

The reservoirs were full of water until 1997, after which they were not used for a long time. In 2019, the city built a convenient entrance to the front of the two underground tanks, until then access was only possible through a small hatch and a ladder, which was not safe.

“Inspections in the reservoir were only extraordinary and took place in emergency mode. Now both reservoirs have a main and a safety entrance as well as an electrical installation that made it possible to light them. I assume that during September the Tourist Information Center will open the reservation system for tours, which should start after approval in mid-October,” said Oliva.

Photo: Václav Šálek, CTK

The interior of the brick reservoir from 1894

Until August of next year, however, people will be able to visit only two brick reservoirs and will basically move around the construction site.

Since 2019, it is a cultural monument

Simultaneously with the completion of the first phase of work, the second phase began. It includes the demolition of the former watchman’s house, which has broken statics, and the construction of its replica. Beneath the house, which will serve as a cash register upon completion, there will be two basement floors with an elevator and access to two underground corridors. One will lead to the front brick reservoir and the other to the still inaccessible concrete reservoir.

The second stage of the work will cost 98 million crowns and should be completed by the end of summer next year. It also includes park modifications of the space above the reservoirs, the space should be publicly accessible after modification.

Photo: Václav Šálek, CTK

New entrance to the 1894 brick reservoir

The three reservoirs under Žlutý kopec between Tvrdého and Tomešová streets were created at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Two of them are built of red burnt bricks without the use of steel, wood or reinforced concrete, the third, the youngest reservoir from 1910, consists of two concrete tanks.

In total, these waterworks had a volume of more than 20,000 cubic meters and water was pumped into them from the treatment plant in Pisárky. They were taken out of service only in 1997, since then they have been empty and preserved. In 2019, the Ministry of Culture declared the set of buildings a cultural monument.

The article is in Czech

Czechia

Tags: Brnos brick reservoirs open public

PREV The end of the coal era will benefit the locals if it is fair
NEXT Prague has ambitions to become a world center of technological innovation