A 30-year-old Jewish woman who was stabbed by a masked assailant in the French city of Lyon on Saturday afternoon was released from the hospital today. Her injuries required several stitches. The woman was interviewed by the police during her hospitalization, her lawyer Stéphane Draï said today according to AFP. The authorities are investigating the act as attempted murder, no one has been arrested yet. Jews in Europe are once again living in fear, the European Commission warned in a statement today and condemned the rise of anti-Semitism. There are so many signs, attacks and demonstrations that they remind of the dark times of the past, the executive of the European Union also stated.
The assailant, dressed in black and with his face partially covered, rang the doorbell at the woman’s door and stabbed her twice after she answered the door. The family of the victim found a knife and a swastika spray-painted on the door at the scene. According to the prosecutor’s office, the motive for the attack could have been anti-Semitic.
Anti-Semitism, or the end of divorce?
According to the lawyer, the attacked woman filed a criminal complaint. The lawyer warned against jumping to conclusions about an anti-Semitic motive with the fact that the woman is getting a divorce. “Until the investigation is completed, there is a need to act cautiously and decisively,” said Draï.
The attack was condemned by politicians and representatives of religious communities. The number of anti-Semitic acts in France has risen sharply since the attack on Israel by Hamas in early October.
Since October 7, the authorities in France they register 857 anti-Semitic actsroughly the same as for the whole of last year, Minister of the Interior Gérald Darmanin said today.
European Commission: Jews in Europe again live in fear
“The rise in anti-Semitic incidents across Europe has reached unprecedented levels in recent days, it recalls some of the darkest times in history. European Jews are once again living in fear today,” the European Commission said.
The Union executive recalls some attacks in recent days, such as Molotov cocktails thrown at a synagogue in Germany, Jewish stars on buildings in France, vandalized Jewish cemetery in Austria or attacks on Jewish shops and synagogues in Spain. It promises to stand by Jewish communities across Europe in these difficult times and to continue to respect the rights of all minorities.
The commission condemns anti-Semitic acts because they are “contrary to the basic values and way of life” of Europeans and contradict the social model that the entire European Union represents.
An American Ohio-class nuclear submarine has arrived in the Middle East. The US Middle East, Gulf and North Africa Command (CENTCOM) made the announcement today at Platform X. The unusual announcement was supported by a photo of a submarine in the Suez Canal.
The command did not specify the identity of the submarine, and it is unclear whether it is one of four submarines capable of carrying Tomahawk missiles or one of 14 submarines carrying Trident-II ballistic missiles. But it is a significant increase in American deterrence in the region and the ability to strike if necessary, noted the Israeli newspaper The Jerusalem Post.
The directors of 18 major UN agencies, including the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the World Food Program (WFP) and the World Health Organization (WHO), have issued an unusual joint statement, according to AFP, calling for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in the war between Israel and the radical Palestinian by the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip. The heads of individual organizations expressed outrage at the number of civilian casualties of the war in the Gaza Strip.
“For almost a month now, the world has watched the unfolding situation in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory in shock and dismay at the number of lives lost and destroyed,” the directors wrote.
According to the Hamas government, 9,770 people have been killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli bombing since the start of the current war. More than 1,400 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel.
Early this morning, the Jordanian Air Force airdropped urgent medical aid in the form of medical supplies to the Jordanian Field Hospital in the Gaza Strip. It was announced by Jordanian King Abdullah II, according to Reuters. on the X network as well as state media.
“A Royal Air Force plane dropped emergency medical aid using parachutes to the Jordanian field hospital in Gaza, which is running out of supplies due to the delay in the delivery of aid through the Rafah crossing,” the Jordanian state agency said, citing a military source from the Jordanian Armed Forces’ High Command.
View full online