Tel Aviv/Gaza/Washington – 50,000 people passed through evacuation corridors in the Gaza Strip today, Israeli authorities said. The Rafah border crossing into Egypt was closed today due to unspecified security circumstances, US State Department spokesman Vedant Patel announced today. According to Washington, 80 trucks of humanitarian aid passed through the crossing in the last 24 hours, writes Reuters.
Israel, which has been fighting the radical Palestinian movement Hamas for a month, has repeatedly appealed to residents of the Gaza Strip to move to the south of the area, as the fighting is fiercest in the north. COGAT, the division of the Israeli Ministry of Defense that oversees civilian activities in the Palestinian territories, today https://twitter.com/cogatonline/status/1722282752068972724 on the transfer of 50,000 Palestinians. The onslaught was so great that the corridors had to be opened until 15:00 local time (14:00 CET), i.e. an hour longer than originally promised. According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), about 15,000 people fled from the north to the south on Tuesday, compared to 5,000 on Monday and 2,000 on Sunday.
The Rafah crossing serves a very limited purpose for the transport of humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip and for the departure of foreigners and the wounded in the opposite direction. The United States expects the crossing to be opened “at regular intervals” to allow aid to flow into the area, Patel said.
80 trucks with humanitarian aid entered the Gaza Strip in the last 24 hours, White House security spokesman John Kirby said today. According to him, around 400 Americans have left the Strip so far, and another around 500 to 600, including family members, remain in the Gaza Strip, Reuters quoted Kirby as saying.
Palestine Israel fighting PHOTO