England vs Pakistan Highlights: ENG vs PAK, Chasing a target of 238 runs, Pakistan lost wickets at quick intervals while playing against defending champions England at Eden Gardens in Kolkata on 11 November and lost by 93 runs. With this defeat, Pakistan are now officially out of the semi-finals race of the World Cup, while England qualified for the Champions Trophy tournament.
Batting second Pakistan lost Abdullah Shafique (0), Fakhar Zaman (1), Babar Azam (38), Mohammad Rizwan (36), Saud Shakeel (29), Agha Salman (51), Iftikhar Ahmed (3), Shadab Khan (4 ), Shaheen Shah Afridi (25) and Haris Rauf (35) are English bowlers. Only Mohammad Wasim remained unbeaten at 16. The entire batting collapsed at 244 in 43.3 overs.
For England, David Willey – playing his last ODI – took 3 wickets and completed 100 wickets in ODIs. Adil Rashid, Gus Atkinson and Moeen Ali took 2 wickets each, while Chris Woakes picked one wicket.
After this stunning victory, England have qualified for the upcoming Champions Trophy.
Ben Stokes and Joe Root played in a 132-run partnership to power England to 337/9 runs after 50 overs. Pakistan pacer Haris Rauf clinched 3 wickets to restrict some runs from the English batters while Shaheen Afridi and Mohammad Wasim Jr. clinched 2 wickets each.
Ben Stokes played wonderfully for England today before he was dismissed by a fiery delivery of Shaheen Afridi. England skipper Jos Buttler and Joe Root are on the crease now as the defending champions look to finish with a high score against Pakistan to strengthen their chances of Champions Trophy 2025 qualification.
Jonny Bairstow and Dawid Malan started well and provided England with an 82 run opening partnership. Spinner Iftikhar Ahmed ended the strong partnership as he clinched Dawid Malan’s wicket and Joe Root is the new batter on the crease.
The stage is set for a ‘do or die’ clash for Babar Azam-led Pakistan as the team faces defending champions England. Pakistan’s semi-final dream is still possible, but practically they need a near-impossible victory against England to make that possibility a reality. Skipper Babar Azam sounded optimistic in the pre-match press conference, but the figures are just crazy. The ENG vs PAK ICC World Cup clash will finalize the top 4 teams, who will move to the knockout stages on 15th and 16th November.
Pakistan needs to defeat England by 287 runs while batting first or 284 balls to spare while chasing in order to think about the semi-finals. Now, this makes it clear that in case Babar Azam manages to win the toss, he has to opt for batting and should target a 400+ score in England to even think about winning today’s match.
Jos Buttler-led England has been a disaster in the ICC World Cup 2020but in their previous match against the Netherlands, the team has shown the potential of defending champions and will definitely make Pakistan’s job more difficult as their Champions Trophy 2025 qualifications depend on today’s victory.
England vs Pakistan, ICC World Cup 2023: Head To Head Records
In the One Day Internationals (ODI) format of the game, England and Pakistan faced each other in 91 matches and the Jos Buttler-led side dominated the game with 56 wins. But, when it comes to that ICC World Cup, the Pakistan cricket team has some edge with a 5-4 record against England. In their last World Cup match, Pakistan defeated England by 14 runs.
England vs Pakistan, ICC World Cup 2023: Pitch Report
The England vs Pakistan match is scheduled at the pitch of Eden Gardens, Kolkata which is known to support batters with a flat surface. The match is expected to be a high-scoring thriller, but during the ending overs, the spinners can come into play as the pitch provides a better turn to the spin bowling.
England vs Pakistan, ICC World Cup 2023: Weather Report
There is a 1% chance of rain over the Eden Gardens during the match hours while the temperature is expected to range between 21 to 32 degrees Celsius. As per AccuWeather, the cloud cover will be 1% while humidity levels are expected to remain around 46% during the match.
England vs Pakistan, ICC World Cup 2023: Key Highlights
1. England skipper Jos Buttler won the toss and chose to bat first
2. Jonny Bairstow and Dawid Malan started for England while Shaheen Afridi led Pakistan’s pace attack
3. The England openers provided the team with a solid start
4. Spinner Iftikhar Ahmed provided Pakistan with first breakthrough as he dismissed Dawid Malan
5. Jonny Bairstow slammed his 2nd half-century of the ICC World Cup 2023
6. Haris Rauf delivered a beautiful ball to dismiss Jonny Bairstow
7. Ben Stokes and Joe Root played a beautiful partnership before Shaheen Afridi ended that with Ben Stokes’s wicket.
8. Haris Rauf clinched his 2nd wicket of the day as he dismissed Harry Brook.
9. England score 337/9 in 50 overs.
- WICKET!! Willey sends Shafique to the pavilion for a golden DUCK on the second delivery of the first over.
- WICKET!! Willey dismisses Fakhar Zaman in the fourth ball of the third over.
- Pakistan completed 50 runs in 10.6 overs (66 balls).
- 3rd Wicket partnership of 50 runs comes up in 64 balls (Babar Azam 30, Mohammad Rizwan 19)
- Gus Atkinson dismisses Babar Azam (38) on the last delivery of the 14th over.
- Moeen Ali continues his fifth over. WICKET!! Rizwan dismisses Rizwan on the third delivery of the 23rd over.
- Adil Rashid continues his attack and dismisses Saud Shakeel (29) in the fifth delivery of the 28th over.
- Moeen Ali continues his ninth over and dismisses Iftikhar Ahmed (3) on the first delivery of the 31st over.
- Adil Rashid continues his attack and dismisses Shadab Khan on the 4th delivery of the 32nd over.
- Its David Willey’s 100th ODI wicket as he dismisses Agha Salman (51) on the 4th delivery of the 37th over.
- Gus Atkinson brought back into attack and dismissed Shaheen Shah Afridi (25) on the 4th delivery of the 38th over via a LBW.
- Pakistan complete 200 runs in 39.2 overs (236 balls)
- 10th Wicket partnership of 50 runs comes in 31 balls (Mohammad Wasim (1) 16, Haris Rauf 35)
- Chris Woakes dismisses Haris Rauf and Pakistan were ALL OUT at 244 in 43.3 overs. England beat Pakistan by 93 runs.
- With this, England has qualified for the Champions Trophy. Also, Pakistan now get disqualified from the World Cup semis’ race.