US curbs exports of powerful chips to China, Rio Tinto to take over Canadian copper miner

US curbs exports of powerful chips to China, Rio Tinto to take over Canadian copper miner
US curbs exports of powerful chips to China, Rio Tinto to take over Canadian copper miner

✅ Rio Tinto to take over Canadian copper miner

Mining company Rio Tinto has agreed to buy the remaining 49 percent stake in Canadian copper miner Turquoise Hill Resources for $3.3 billion (80.8 billion crowns). It has secured direct ownership of the giant Oyu Tolgoi copper mining project in Mongolia, Rio Tinto announced. Turquoise Hill owns a 66 percent stake in one of the world’s largest known copper and gold deposits, located 550 kilometers south of the Mongolian capital. The remaining 34 percent in the Oyu Tolgoi project is owned by the Mongolian government.

✅ Chinese planes entered Taiwan’s airspace over 400 times in August

Chinese aircraft entered Taiwan’s air defense zone a total of 446 times in August. This is a higher figure than in all of 2020. In the first eight months of this year, Taiwan has recorded 1,068 violations of its defense zone, which is about 100 more than in all of last year. This was reported by the AFP agency with reference to data from the Taiwanese Ministry of Defense. China has staged large-scale air and naval exercises in response to visits by senior US officials to the island, which it considers a renegade province.

✅ Washington ordered to limit the export of powerful chips to China

The US government has ordered two leading chip makers to limit exports of their powerful products to China. The company Nvidia announced that it was informed by the US authorities about the changes in the rules for exporting chips to the Asian country, and similar information was confirmed by the company AMD, the Reuters agency wrote. The aim of the measure is to make it more difficult for China to access technologies that it could use in the military field. The company Nvidia reported on Wednesday that new rules make it impossible for it to export the powerful A100 and H100 series chips, which, according to the company, could lead to up to 400 million dollars (almost ten billion crowns) in losses from unrealized sales. The company will thus try to offer a different type of product to its Chinese customers. Rival company AMD believes that the new rules will not allow the export of MI250 chips to China, but this should not have any material impact on the company’s business.

✅ The Russian military is facing a serious shortage of personnel in Ukraine, the United States says

The Russian military is facing a serious shortage of personnel in Ukraine. It was written by Reuters and AP with reference to information from the US secret services. Therefore, Russia is trying in various ways to strengthen the recruitment of soldiers who will go to fight in Ukraine. According to the secret services, Moscow also tries to recruit criminals on Ukrainian territory with the promise of financial rewards and pardons. “The Russian military is facing a serious shortage of personnel in Ukraine,” a US government official told the agency, citing intelligence. According to him, the Russian military is trying to increase its numbers in Ukraine by returning wounded soldiers to combat more quickly, using people from private security agencies or offering various bonuses to regular service soldiers for signing up for frontline units.

The story of the Soviet Union ends now. Putin will not survive this war, says analyst Svárovský

VIDEO Markéta Volfová, Lukáš Červený


The article is in Czech

Tags: curbs exports powerful chips China Rio Tinto Canadian copper miner

PREV VCHOVA: Will kesan have to hjit bit dt again?
NEXT Everyone brags about victory and success. Who improved in the election and who did not