Australian police arrested a 49-year-old woman in connection with the death of three people in August. They died after eating poisonous mushrooms that the suspect served them for lunch. With reference to the police, foreign media reports about it today. We reported on the case here.
Police in the state of Victoria said they were searching the detainee’s home with the help of dogs trained to detect electronic devices such as USB drives and SIM cards.
At the center of the action is Erin Patterson, a 48-year-old mother of two, who, in a desperate attempt to win back her estranged husband Simon, organized a “mediation lunch” with the help of relatives. They had beef wrapped in pâté and mushrooms for lunch. The husband canceled his participation at the last minute, but his parents and aunt showed up for the dinner. They all died afterwards. The said aunt’s husband Ian, a local pastor, was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where he received treatment for two months.
Patterson’s husband had already written a post on Facebook last June, in which he said that he had been in a coma for more than two weeks with strange stomach problems. “I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days, during which I had three emergency operations, mainly on the small intestine, plus another scheduled operation.
They had all previously eaten beef for lunch on July 29, prepared by the Pattersons’ former daughter-in-law, Erin. Investigators previously said the dish appeared to contain the highly poisonous green toadstool. According to Australian ABC television, the host told the police that she had no intention of poisoning anyone and that she herself was hospitalized with stomach pains after lunch. She is said to have used supermarket-bought mushrooms and dried mushrooms from an Asian grocery store to prepare the food.
The mysterious death of three people has shocked Australia. Fatal mushroom poisoning is relatively rare in the country, but green toadstools do grow there.