Countries condemn killing of aid workers in Israeli airstrike. Sunak called Netanyahu

--

According to WCK, the victims of the airstrike were citizens of Australia, Poland, Great Britain, one man with dual citizenship of the USA and Canada, and one Palestinian.

According to The Jerusalem Post, three Britons died in the attack. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Tuesday called on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for a transparent investigation into the deaths of aid workers in the Gaza Strip. Sunak’s office informed about the phone call.

According to a Downing Street spokesman, Sunak told Netanyahu that he was “appalled by yesterday’s (Monday) killing of aid workers, including three British citizens, in an airstrike in the Gaza Strip, and demanded a thorough and transparent independent investigation into what happened.” The British prime minister also said, according to a spokesman, that “too many aid workers and ordinary civilians have lost their lives in the Gaza Strip and that the situation is becoming increasingly intolerable”.

Israeli airstrike kills seven aid workers

Near and Middle East

Britain also summoned Israel’s ambassador over the incident.

British Foreign Secretary David Cameron called the incident “totally unacceptable” in an interview with his Israeli counterpart Yisrael Katz. “Israel must urgently explain what happened and make more changes to guarantee the safety of aid workers on the ground,” Cameron said in a statement.

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski is requesting an “urgent investigation” of the incident. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese is also demanding clarification of the “unacceptable” event, who has also called for an immediate and permanent ceasefire and an increase in humanitarian aid to the residents of Gaza.

Albanese’s call for a cease-fire was also repeated by the head of diplomacy of the European Union, Josep Borrell. In its statement, however, the European Commission “only” demanded clarification of the situation. “Humanitarian workers must always be protected in accordance with international humanitarian law. We call for a thorough investigation of this tragedy,” it says.

The White House also expressed “deep concern”. “Aid providers must be protected as they deliver desperately needed aid. We urge Israel to quickly investigate what happened,” El País quoted Adrienne Watson, spokeswoman for the US National Security Council, as saying.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he had already discussed the matter directly with the Israeli government.

The head of Czech diplomacy, Jan Lipavský, also called for an investigation into the event, saying that ensuring the safety of humanitarian workers is paramount. “My heartfelt condolences to the families of the volunteers killed while distributing aid in Gaza,” he wrote.

“I ask the Israeli government to clarify the circumstances of this brutal attack,” said Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, adding that he was appalled by it. Sánchez said this after visiting a Palestinian refugee camp in Jordan. He also appealed to Israel to allow more humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip.

Sánchez also called for the release of hostages held by Palestinian Hamas militants in Gaza since October 7. He also called on the international community to continue funding UNRWA.

Israel will not allow UNRWA to deliver food and aid to the northern Gaza Strip

Near and Middle East


The article is in Czech

Tags: Countries condemn killing aid workers Israeli airstrike Sunak called Netanyahu

-

PREV Ukrainians have to go to war at the age of 25, Zelenskyy approved iRADIO
NEXT Taiwan was hit by a devastating earthquake. The strongest in a quarter of a century